Part 1: Demolishing the Family Room
Unfortunately this room did not get a color-coded name.
So one Thursday afternoon, Zac went crazy
After finishing getting the nails out of the studs from the old drywall and wood paneling layers 1 and 2, we began insulating and sheetrocking
I almost look professional…except for that goofy smile.
Zac actually looks professional, but not as happy as me.
Challenges so far (and it’s only been 4 days…)
1. Our hobbit-sized house needs a hobbit-sized door, so we had to special order one
For now, we’ve got a very thick piece of plywood
2. We have to get new windows because one has a nice crack
3. And since the windows were poorly installed to begin with…ROT
Besides that, it was a good weekend
In other news, Suki continues to long for lil’ Coward
…and for future days on the beach (but so do Zac and I)
Thanks to our snow days, working on the room really was our day job.
First Zac pretended to be an electrician
With great success! It took him 3 tries to get things right, but we got the permit.
We had the new windows installed
And decided that we were capable of installing the front door. False. We got it level after re-installing it after botching try #1, but we’re still not feeling proud.
Since I got 2 snow days and Zac had finished finals, we spent 2 days insulating, finishing the electrical, installing a frame in the doorway between the room and the kitchen, and sheetrocking.
I was crowned “Sheetrock Princess”
Zac began mudding today, we’re expecting to prime the room next week
Suki has been very pleased with the remodeling process. She especially likes her new windows. She uses them to look for putty-tats. Delicious putty-tats.
And just one more thing! We must thank Zac’ title sponsors, without them the room may still be a skeleton
Part 3: The Turn of the 1970s Family Room
Before and After
After the final coat of primer on the walls and ceiling
And painted! We chose “Navajo White,” it’s a very very light yellowish beige.
On to trim
Before and After Windows
Decorated with our new cheap furniture from Ross and St. Vinnie’s
With our new family room done, it’s almost possible to forget about all the problems in the house…and the Passat
And we revealed today to Suki, on her 2nd birthday, that she is the offspring of a jackal.
Which came as no surprise.
She sure can hide it well sometimes
Family Room Costs and Sweat Equity
Estimated Costs (original chart lost when the Mac died – if only more we invested in an external hard drive like EVERYONE ELSE)
|Front Door materials||$32.00|
|Drywall – walls||$128.00|
|Nails and screws||$14.50|
|Mud/ Compound materials||$65.00|
|Trim (windows/ closets/ door)||$76.00|
|Electrical (outlets, wires, switches)||$183.00|
|Trips to the dump||$69.00|
Family Room Sweat Equity:
Timeline: January 2012 – May 2012
Approximate data – previous data lost in the infamous Mac
|1-12: Removing 2 layers of wood paneling/ nails, old drywall and filling van for dump and prepping room for drywall||13hrs|
|2-12: Windows installed by Discount Windows||0 hrs|
|2-12:Insulation and Drywall||9 hrs|
|2-12: Installing the front door||4 hrs|
|3-12: Electrical (Done once in 2-12 before drywall and redone properly in 3-12)||9 hrs|
|3-12: Mudding and sanding||15hrs|
|3-12: Priming, texturing ceiling, painting||10hrs|
|4-12: Trim||9 hrs|
|Misc: 4 trips to the dump||1 hr|
|Misc: 30 trips to Jerry’s/ Home Depot/ Lowes||15hrs|